Tuesday 31 May 2011

The King's Speech


I think I'll jot down a few thoughts on films I see at the cinema throughout the year. Here we go.

I saw The King's Speech at the Windsor Theatre in Nedlands (?) on Jan 3 on a rare trip back to Aus. I went with my wife, Liam and Satomi on a pretty warm afternoon. The cinema was full of oldies, possibly attracted to the regal theme, maybe to the discount prices, so getting a couple of choc bombs took a bit longer than planned.

I must admit, I had high hopes for this film and I wasn't disappointed. It's well written, tightly-paced and nicely underplayed by the leads. The scene where Logue (Geoffry Rush) calls Perth crowds 'enthusiastic' went down understandably well. Firth is very good, Rush also, and the rest of the cast chip in with solid support, especially Michael Gambon as King George V, domineering father of VI.

I thought the best scene was where Mrs. Logue comes home to find the King and Queen in her house. Helena Bonham Carter plays this really well as the two men hide in the adjoining room. I realise this is an obvious, slightly hackneyed set-up but it works here.

The only slight gripe I had was the Timothy Spall cameo as Churchill, which I thought was caricatured and out of keeping with the rest of the film. But I'm being a bit harsh. This is a very well made film all in all.

Toodle pip!

No comments:

Post a Comment