Sunday 18 March 2018

Get Out


Just got around to seeing this little cracker about a year after its initial release. It was shown once or twice at the Moonlight outdoor cinema in Kings Park and I was lucky enough to score another freebie (thanks again sis). In fact, I may not have paid to see this as I'm not a big fan of this kind of genre film. At least, I suspected it was a genre film - a schlocky horror throw-away in the same blue-red vein as Paranormal Insidious Annabel 4 or whatever the fook. But this was a sneaky little bugger. A creepy, social commentary slash thriller couched in horror. And full of the smarts too.

On a side note, this is the first time we've done the podcast before I've had a chance to park it and spew keyboard waffles all over the www. Consequently, as I feel like I'm treading on old ground, I'm probably going to make this a short one. Lacking spoilers. Listen to the pod below for a more detailed dissection of Get Out.

But suffice to say, I had a pretty good time with this. The thing I noticed most about this film is that it improves not with a second watch (yet to be tested) but with a follow-up reading on it. For example, here are some of the noises I made as I scanned various (but mainly IMDB) message boards - ahhh, ohhh, uhuh, oh shit really, ha!, eh?, what the fudunkler, oh that's why he was @*^$&#%&*, yep, etc.

The director, and now Oscar-winning co-writer, Jordan Peele made his debut with this and he obviously spent some time planting the seeds. There are too many seeds to go into but the disguised (and more obvious) details make this a satisfying watch (and read after). From a tiny budget of around $USD 5 million, it has washed it's face and then some, making around $USD 255 million worldwide at last count. Get Out? Get In!


See also:

Rosemary's Baby (1968) for similar paranoic creeps and The World's End (2013) for no reason really. Or is there?

SPOILERS WITHIN PODCAST!!

Listen to "Get Out" on Spreaker.

No comments:

Post a Comment